Bugs in PF 11

You think you have found a bug ? You've got a suggestion to modify PhotoFiltre ? /
Ĉu vi opinias vi trovis malbonadĵon ? Ĉu vi havas sugeston por modifi PhotoFiltre ?

Modérateur : Modérateurs

Répondre
sypa2021
Nouveau(elle)|Nouveau|Nouvelle
Version de PhotoFiltre : 11
Système d'exploitation : Windows 10 Home
Processeur : i7
Mémoire RAM : 16

Bugs in PF 11

Message par sypa2021 »

Hi, I'm trying out the 11 version, since it is 64-bit.

I have tried out the X version before, but I ran out of memory (due to the 32-bit, limited memory capabilities, I guess) every time I used big .PFI layered files. So I was not impressed.
This is a Windows limitation, not PF's.

So I bumped onto the 64-bit, tried it out and indeed the same memory issues don't apply (at least I haven't found any).

Yet, I found very disturbing behaviour in this new version:

1. If you use different layers, you can't "reach" the Transparent layers ('PNG) by just clicking on the painted part (as in PFX), but you have to select them first in the Thumbnail List. Layers seem to rule as a rectangle and not as an transparent image. Very unhandy, especially when you have many layers.

2. If you want to adjust (e.g. Brightness) your click almost always resets the slider to its neutral position instead of following what you want to achieve by clicking on it. This happens also with the Transform option Scale and Angle. My guess is with other adjustable settings as well.

These two are the bugs I have found so far, and are definitely a deal-breaker regarding purchase.

Ironically PFX worked okay (besides said memory problems).

I have i7 CPU, a RTX2060 GPU and 16Gb RAM.

---

Not typically a bug, but rather a wish. I'm missing the option to edit the contents of the Bar on top. Let's say I use a few Adjust, Edit and Filter options regularly, yet some I do want don't show in the Bar, while others I don't want, do....
Antonio
Administrateur(trice)|Administrateur|Administratrice

Re: Bugs in PF 11

Message par Antonio »

1) it's not a bug, it's what lot of users asked, because it's more easy to move a Text layer for example (with a lot of transparency arround). With the studio X, if you click out of text, you change layer and can not move it, with the 11, you can move it

2) not the click reset, the double click reset. Perhaps your double click settings in windows is to slow...
sypa2021

Message par sypa2021 »

Antonio a écrit :1) it's not a bug, it's what lot of users asked, because it's more easy to move a Text layer for example (with a lot of transparency arround). With the studio X, if you click out of text, you change layer and can not move it, with the 11, you can move it

2) not the click reset, the double click reset. Perhaps your double click settings in windows is to slow...
-----
1. I understand what others asked for, I've seen that you have to click on the small area of a letter in the Text (or click the thumbnail). That indeed has been solved.

Yet if you work with many layers, one has to look up in the small thumbnails to see WHICH one you want to move or edit. If they all seem pretty similar (which is often the case to compare and choose the best one), it's really not doable. Now I click on layer X, but Y is moving, since it was selected a while ago.

IMHO the big "T" of a Text thumbnail is easier to recognize than a mini representation of an image-layer....

Maybe it's possible to differentiate the definition of a text from an image layer object. After all, besides being layers they are different objects.

At least in version 11 there could have been an option to CHOOSE which method you prefer. Maybe in 11.01?

The same with my 'wish' remark regarding which icons I would like to see in the Bar. How easy the learning curve is in PF, it seems quite 'Spartan' and therefore lacking some production user-friendly stuff.

2. I don't click the 'Reset' button, but clicking on the (thin) slider lines acts as if you click the 'Reset' button. In PFX it works as it should.

Pity I can't upload images to show what I mean....
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

1) i think it's better with the v11, i'm waiting for other users remarks, after i will see...
or perhaps apply only when the option "Shwo layer bounds" is enabled, i will test...
don't forget you can move a layer with the arrow keys, sometimes it's better than the mouse

2) I don't click the 'Reset' button,
==> i know it's the double-click, click waiting 2 secondes between each click and it will not reset. In windows 10 the default double-click is very slow, more than 1 seconde. I changed it for faster and it work nice for me now (no reset)
sypa2021

Message par sypa2021 »

sypa2021 a écrit :
Antonio a écrit :1) it's not a bug, it's what lot of users asked, because it's more easy to move a Text layer for example (with a lot of transparency arround). With the studio X, if you click out of text, you change layer and can not move it, with the 11, you can move it

-----
1. I understand what others asked for, I've seen that you have to click on the small area of a letter in the Text (or click the thumbnail). That indeed has been solved.

Yet if you work with many layers, one has to look up in the small thumbnails to see WHICH one you want to move or edit. If they all seem pretty similar (which is often the case to compare and choose the best one), it's really not doable. Now I click on layer X, but Y is moving, since it was selected a while ago.

IMHO the big "T" of a Text thumbnail is easier to recognize than a mini representation of an image-layer....

Maybe it's possible to differentiate the definition of a text from an image layer object. After all, besides being layers they are different objects.

At least in version 11 there could have been an option to CHOOSE which method you prefer. Maybe in 11.01?

The same with my 'wish' remark regarding which icons I would like to see in the Bar. How easy the learning curve is in PF, it seems quite 'Spartan' and therefore lacking some production user-friendly stuff.

2. I don't click the 'Reset' button, but clicking on the (thin) slider lines acts as if you click the 'Reset' button. In PFX it works as it should.

Pity I can't upload images to show what I mean....
Antonio a écrit :1) i think it's better with the v11, i'm waiting for other users remarks, after i will see...
or perhaps apply only when the option "Shwo layer bounds" is enabled, i will test...
don't forget you can move a layer with the arrow keys, sometimes it's better than the mouse

==> i know it's the double-click, click waiting 2 secondes between each click and it will not reset. In windows 10 the default double-click is very slow, more than 1 seconde. I changed it for faster and it work nice for me now (no reset)

Antonio a écrit :1) i think it's better with the v11, i'm waiting for other users remarks, after i will see...

----
Thank you for your quick reply, Antonio.
Much appreciated.

1. You're right, because this is just my own personal opinion - and my preferences regarding how I would handle multiple layers. I would work a lot with images and other people maybe with texts. So that's why I suggested a choice in behavior.

I have tried the ""Show active layer bounds" preference, but both checked or unchecked didn't make any difference at this moment regarding this point. But if that could be used as "the choice" that would be awesome.

"don't forget you can move a layer with the arrow keys, sometimes it's better than the mouse"
Yes, that works more precise, and with pressing the <shift> key, it even goes faster. That's a Windows standard.
But this point is regarding selecting the layer... :D

2. Great to have solved that. I've tested now with time-breaks in between and it indeed doesn't act as a "double-click Reset".
Shortening the interval would definitely solve the problem, while a superfast (or maybe just slow) interval let the Reset do its job....
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

I have tried the ""Show active layer bounds" preference, but both checked or unchecked didn't make any difference at this moment regarding this point..But if that could be used as "the choice" that would be awesome.
==> it's my idea, i will test that in the next release...
sypa2021

Message par sypa2021 »

Antonio a écrit :I have tried the ""Show active layer bounds" preference, but both checked or unchecked didn't make any difference at this moment regarding this point..But if that could be used as "the choice" that would be awesome.
---
That would be great. If it works I will definitely buy this version! :D
sypa2021

Message par sypa2021 »

sypa2021 a écrit :
Antonio a écrit :I have tried the ""Show active layer bounds" preference, but both checked or unchecked didn't make any difference at this moment regarding this point..But if that could be used as "the choice" that would be awesome.
---
That would be great. If it works I will definitely buy this version! :D
---
Antonio, do you have any plan about when that's going to be available?
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

i think i will publish a new version in october...
sypa2021

Message par sypa2021 »

Antonio a écrit :i think i will publish a new version in october...
---
Since I'm still using the test version, which will expire in two weeks, will we be notified when it's ready for download?
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

you must check the forum like for other versions
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

you can try this new version viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23480
sypa2021

Message par sypa2021 »

Antonio a écrit :you can try this new version viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23480

Unfortunately I found a huge issue.

In the 32-bit version you could run out of memory quite quickly. Only with a trick of clicking away the error message(s) and IMMEDIATELY minimizing the image, I could save the rest of the images.

PF 11 has a similar issue, but there is not even a way to get rid of the message.
All images being working on in that session are completely lost.

Is seems to have problems with images with higher resolution.
Yet, it's not a computer issue. I have an i9 CPU + 32Gb RAM.

The message that pops up (seemingly eternally) is: "PhotoFiltre 11 / Index de ligne hors limites"

I hope (obviously) that this is easily repairable....
Antonio

Message par Antonio »

personally I have never crashed PhotoFiltre 11. But what you are describing looks more like a PC memory crash than a software crash
sypa2021

Message par sypa2021 »

Antonio a écrit :personally I have never crashed PhotoFiltre 11. But what you are describing looks more like a PC memory crash than a software crash
Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned I have an i9 CPU + 32Gb RAM.
Which is clearly a lot of overkill for PF, but of course I didn't buy it solely for that purpose. I'm running a Flight Simulator as well with almost all settings on max. No worries at all.

So, except for PF, my system seems very stable and never (really!) has issues with any software, let alone this specific one which should not even be demanding at all.

I had mentioned already similar problems in the version 10 (32-bit), so apparently something regarding memory allocation and/or stacking doesn't add up and overflows a container.

There is a "pay attention" situation however, as just dragging layers suddenly slows down the system and the screen turns light-colored (temporary). Which is in some respect a hint to immediately save your work (that is, if it's not too late already).

Again it's only with high-res (many Mb's) images/layers, but I cannot reproduce exactly where the limitation kicks in.

Hope you can find it.
Répondre